Sugar Creek Art Center Gets a Face Lift!


 

Mike Marsh at SCAC

Mike Marsh in front of the Art Center

Winter was hard on our 108 year old historic building!!

Mortar cracks and missing mortar had become a serious problem on the historical face of our building. So the art center was fortunate enough to have 20 gallons of paint and 8 gallons of primer plus labor donated to transform this beautiful building into a 21st century beauty.  Mike Marsh of Thorntown donated his time and talent to the restoration of Sugar Creek Art Center and we have to say job well done!

The building has the owners identity carved into the stone at the top – The E.R. Jaques Co. which was founded and built in 1877.  Later the original building was torn down to make way for this modern building approximately in 1906. The E. R. Jaques building was the headquarters for shipping farm products to the east coast. Brown eggs went to Boston and white eggs went to New York as the story goes. Also, furs, wool and hides were shipped on the Big Four rail that went right behind the building.

In 1942 the E.R. Jaques Company building was sold to the Crystal Dairy. Later the Thorntown Textile Company occupied the building, as the locals called it, the old garment factory and it remained an important economic enterprise until the 1980s.  Later Stalcop occupied the building until the Sugar Creek Art Center became a not for profit organization and took ownership and responsibility to maintain such a wonderful historic facility located in Thorntown.

Today activity is once again seen as the SCAC offers 2nd Friday night artist openings, studios for working artists are available, art classes, an event center and a new Book Nook plus a stocked gift shop.  Sugar Creek Art Center invites locals and visitors to come in and experience art on a whole new level.  One door with a host of new experiences.

Copyright © Dandelion by Pexeto